MIT student blogger Lulu L. '09

Thanksgiving on First East – Team Bemis makes hand turkeys!! by Lulu L. '09

(For justice and the greater common good.)

My first installment of The Adventures of Team Bemis:

Some extremely attractive and well-mannered members of Team Bemis spent Saturday night a couple of weeks ago putting their creative minds to use designing and implementing capable lovable hand turkeys. For those unfamiliar with the concept, the steps involved in making a hand turkey are as follows:

1.) Stock up on supplies (construction paper, glitter, glue, markers, finger-paints… “Are you a kindergarten teacher?” asks the sales clerk. “No,” says Kelly. “They’re for my friends at… uh…nevermind”).
2.) Gather friends and followers.
3.) Trace the outline of your hand (preferably the hand you do not use to trace with) on construction paper.
4.) Cut along the lines.
5.) Repeat. Or not. Whatever.
6.) Decorate!

Observe!

This is us making hand turkeys:

Kelly (09) demonstrates step one in purple:

Louis (07) can do it without looking:

Happy Jonathan (07) and Mary (our GRT):

Something is not right with this picture:

More pictures:

All done, we put our names on our turkeys and they sat proudly on our doors, perched in greeting of the coming holiday. You can tell a lot about someone’s personality by the hand turkeys they create.

Louis chose a more classic design:

Kelly went with something a bit more fun:

Mine was heavily cubist-influenced:

Mary’s was very very glittery:

Jonathan’s was furry and kind of mad:

Try it yourself!

But what’s thanksgiving without a feast? The denizens of First East (East Campus) held our annual hall thanksgiving this past Sunday (before everyone left) complete with a big delicious dinner we all sat down to eat like a big ol’ happy family. Our lovely and gracious host this year was Kelly (09) who gave commands and oversaw the operations in the kitchen all day. The preparations moved along like a well-oiled machine under her stern but gentle leadership and for the first time (ever?) dinner was served on time (6 o’clock sharp!).

Scenes from the kitchen. The lighting was dim and people were stepping on me so these pictures are kinda bad. No matter:

Janet (07) mashing potatoes like a champ:

Helen (07) doing something with asparagus:

Yeah, there were more but they were REALLY bad. Oh by the way every hall in East Campus has a kitchen. Because we do not have a dining hall. By the end of this entry you won’t want a dining hall either ;-)

I stayed out of the way for the most part (I blister easily) except to run errands and pass supplies around. Things sure were festive!

Everyone gathered ’round with their spoons and forks for the food unveiling.

Mike (08) is excited about Thanksgiving:

First round of food (special thanks to the turkeys who gave their lives Betsy and Gobblin’ Tom):

The hostess steps out to greet her guests:

Readysetgo.

Louis (07) can carve turkeys with his pecs but out of modesty he used a knife this time:

Pattie (08) and Quentin (10) are very serious about Thanksgiving. Clockwise from top-left to bottom-left: mashed potatoes, stuffing, stuffed peppers, more stuffing with bacon, green bean casserole.

Some point during the meal faces appeared at the window. Which would have been pretty creepy if they weren’t so darn happy. They were invited to our party.

And even dessert!

All in all, it was a happy day

(this is Holly (07) and Louis):

(this is Paul (09) Katie (06) and Jonathan)

Then we all locked ourselves in our rooms indefinitely to study for our tests in EVERY CLASS! Yay! The end! Hope ya had a nice Thanksgiving! If not, there’s always next year :)

36 responses to “Thanksgiving on First East – Team Bemis makes hand turkeys!!”

1. ICE says:

hi,your pics are very beautiful^^

2. ICE says:

wa.Thank you for your effort~

My MSN: hao_bing60 at yahoo dot com dot cn

lovely pictures, lulu

4. Stephanie C. says:

Hehe. It looked like fun, though the pics of everyone scrounging for food made me think of the prayer my uncle uses when our whole family (which consists of about 30 people and more people);
    In the name of the father, son, and holy ghost.
    Whoever eats the fastest, gets the most.

And you’re right. Those faces in the window would probably creep anyone out. And I love the chopsticks at thanksgiving dinner. Honestly, though? I’m shocked you guys didn’t go into turkey comas that night.

This is a really cute entry. Hooray for college thanksgiving, MIT-style!

And, by the way, I have a question about the dinner’s “hostess” – was she also a tour guide at MIT this summer? Because she looks very familiar… smile

This looks like a lot of fun. I love your pictures, Lulu!

This is kind of random, but Kelly was my tour guide when I visited MIT this summer, and I really liked her. So, Kelly, if you ever read this, you’re definitely part of the reason I want to go to MIT (and also part of the reason I want to be a physicist). Thank you!

7. lulu says:

aww smile

(
    I was a tour guide, too… :(
    )

8. glareflair17 says:

wonderful pictures lulu! It really conveys a sense of the community at MIT, makes me want to go more!

hey, just a question

lulu, maybe u should appear more FREQUENTLY in the pics….

10. lulu says:

right i’ll just let the pictures take themselves wink

11. Kelly says:

YAAY!

Hopefully if you were on my tour it was a good day and not a “BAHIDON’TWANTTOBEATWORK” day.

YAAY!

<3<3

12. Kelly says:

WTF happened there

13. Eileen says:

+ people wonder why I want to go to MIT. Great photos Lulu (:

14. Cool hand turkey ! Never thought of that way of making art. Beautiful, simple and fun ! I believe hand peacocks and eagles can be made too. And if you stick them on the wall of kindergarten, it will be very decorative. Haha then this idea can be used for cummunity service, for the kindergartens and ya hospitals for children. Cheap and viable and cool!

15. Chris says:

LOL OMG I SEE CHRIS KENNEDDYYY!!! Hi chris!! Haha~ he’s from my school.

16. Michael says:

Hello Lulu,

I think the shots of the beach sunrise are exquisite!! The purple hue is extremely haunting. The introspective view of your all-nighter was cool too. I’m out here in A2 MI where the sunsets and the skies are beautiful and Michigan lost to Ohio State(don’t know if you follow football…out here in Ann Arbor it kinda infiltrates all areas of life…like red sox nation…oh yea you like infiltRATION, lol:-)) Peace, harmony, and a greenenergy future, complete with off-the-grid-power -selah I am Michael a Mitty lover and would like some shots of alternative energy ideas at the idea factory.

17. Elizabeth says:

Hehe- I’m sure we all would have loved having you as a tour guide, Lulu. I personally had Anna (I think that was her name-I can totally picture her) and hearing others talk about their tour guides-MIT must just rock at tour guides too! Clearly everyone there loves MIT. Anna was an AWESOME tour guide, and she TOTALLY made MIT come alive to me.
    Ooooohh! only 1 week, 6 days, 12 hours, and 22 minutes left until EA decisions are posted!

18. Brandy says:

Those are great photos. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

…Yup. That proves it. Kelly was definitely my tour guide. raspberry

Sorry I forgot your name. (But, hey, I doubt you remember mine either!) smile

Lulu-Don’t be sad! I complimented your pictures, after all. If you want, I’ll come visit MIT again and let you give me a tour. smile

Kelly-You seemed like you didn’t mind giving the tour that day. You were definitely one of the happier tour guides I’ve had. (Tufts guy for one was pretty crabby. Though, to be fair, I think he was studying for the MCATs and it was raining).

21. Meagan says:

I have a question regarding admission and grades. Currently my gpa is about a 4.12, and it is predicted to increase next semester. Is this too low a gpa for a serious applicant to have in high school?

22. Michael says:

in response to statistics and test scores and numerical definitions of ability – humanity transcends these parameters

Remember – you are more then a number and everything you bring to the table enhances the world around you, and will also benefit any University you attend. So, relax, do your best, and let your application reflect who you are, and the rest will take care of itself.

23. lulu says:

i dunno though, that IS a pretty low GPA.

24. Jeff says:

In response to “Anonymous”, that’s exactly what I told myself and others whenever there was doubt about me applying to MIT. I figured I should just give it a shot and see what happens. No regrets. I can’t wait to see if I got in.

yeah meagan, you should give up on all of your hopes and dreams because of your… gpa.

seriously, put your heart into your application and cross your fingers. if you don’t apply you’ll spend the rest of your life wondering “what if”.

26. SkyWing says:

Hi,I’m a student in NanJing U,I wanna go to MIT.
    I wanna know more about MIT and students in MIT.
    Do you mind to give me your email address?
    Or MSN?

27. Looks like there were some fun times there, except for the turkeys. Next time, why not try Tofurky ( soy made vegan turkey). It’s good, I’ve tried it myself.

28. Looks like there were some fun times there, except for the turkeys. Next time, why not try Tofurky ( soy made vegan turkey). It’s good, I’ve tried it myself.

29. Looks like there were some fun times there, except for the turkeys. Next time, why not try Tofurky ( soy made vegan turkey). It’s good, I’ve tried it myself.

30. lulu says:

The turkeys were the best part!

31. The Saint says:

Excellent photos! How did you achieve the front-focus back-blurry effect? Looks professional. What camera do you use?

32. Shubo says:

Guys,
    Everyone wants to get into MIT.
    But just ask yourself if you’re tough enough. They’re strength of these individuals beyond the joyous thanksgiving feast.

33. lulu says:

ahh, the infamous f-f b-b effect! such can be achieved only through years of meditation and a large lens aperture.

(f/1.8 – f/4.5ish)

Thanks, I use a Canon Digital SLR (Rebel). The top set of pictures were taken with a 50mm f/1.8 lens and the bottom were a… something like 30-135mm zoom lens.

34. Kavita says:

Great Pictures,

Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

I remember hand turkeys! I saw little first graders making them at my elementary school, but I was in fourth grade (and our teacher thought that hand turkeys were childish…sacrilege!).

Then two years ago we made them in health class…only that teacher made us write the names of people who we loved on each finger/feather, and then made us rip them all off..one..by..one…. I think it was supposed to be a lesson about what it is like to be alienated ?!?!

I miss thanksgiving. It seems so far away now…
    But the way my calculations go, there are only 2 weeks until high school christmas break (because the last week of school doesn’t count, as teachers are antsy, half the kids are in vacation mode, and the other half are in zombie-study mode because of all the tests crammed in before break)…

35. lulu says:

hahaha

your teacher sounds vicious. I would not let that woman babysit my kids.

hey did you apply early action?? are you going to apply here???